Decisions, decisions, decisions! If you are gearing up to design your two-story dream home, we’re sure you may be trying to figure out where you’ll put the laundry room. Of course, designing custom homes at Avila in Tampa means you can be bit extravagant and solve the issue by having two laundry rooms for added convenience. However, we do understand that not many people need two reminders to do a chore often dreaded by the masses.
If you’re sticking with one laundry room, we hope to help make the decision a bit easier for you by giving you some pros and cons and tips for making an upstairs laundry room work.
Pros and Cons of an Upstairs Laundry Room
An upstairs option can be very convenient for a family if all or most of your bedrooms will be upstairs. With an upstairs laundry room, everyone will have easy access. You won’t have to worry about dragging a heavy basket downstairs every time you need to toss clothes into the washer or dryer. You can also eliminate dirty clothes hampers in everyone’s bedrooms.
On a more preventative note, many homeowners are apprehensive about an upstairs laundry room for a fear of a potential flooding. If a leak were to happen, the damage caused and the cost of repairing your ceilings and walls can be a major headache.
Tips for Upstairs Laundry Rooms
Putting a laundry room upstairs comes with pros and cons, but the cons don’t have to be a deal breaker. We have a few tips that’ll make the cons of an upstairs laundry room seem trivial.
- Avoid doing laundry at night if it will be an issue for light sleepers.
- Shut the door to the laundry room to avoid making upstairs too warm.
- Do not purchase front-loading machines for upstairs.
- Use a drain pan to catch water
- Go smart with a smart home automation system that puts you in control of the water main system.
- Purchase an automatic water shutoff valve and auto-shutoff hose.
- Go with an energy efficient washer and dryer.
Where you place your laundry room is a matter of lifestyle and preference. Whatever your choice, a custom home builder at Avila in Tampa is your solution to a beautifully designed home that is luxurious, healthy, and smart.